Battleground Europe Forums

Battleground Europe Forums (http://forums.wwiionline.com/index.php)
-   COMMUNITY SUPPORT (WINDOWS) (http://forums.wwiionline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Will a SSD make a big difference? (http://forums.wwiionline.com/showthread.php?t=394142)

bigrow 05-29-2012 06:56 AM

Will a SSD make a big difference?

Specifically, will a SSD drive improve spawn in times when switching to a different area of the map?

I have a good system(2500k/8gb ram/ win7) with a decent HDD, but like most(all?) others it can take up to about 30 seconds to change to a new area since 1.31. I can handle the wait, but when i am MOIC this is VERY annoying as you don't know what important text you have missed while trying to spawn in. I have always been the type of MOIC who likes to spawn in wherever there is action to see for myself what is happening, this is being made more difficult with the current delay.

So, anyone using SSDs has this improved for you? If so, how much difference has it made?

petie 05-29-2012 07:49 AM

Re: Will a SSD make a big difference?

No, i use ssd, pretty much same setup as you

I5 2500k
16gb RAM
Gtx 470
Win 7 ult x64

60gb SSD for O/S and this game only

Liading times still take the piss, im seriously considering not playing anymore because of it.

This only happened since 1.34 for me and its getting old really fast, if 1.35 doesnt fix, inwill probably leave

Ridiculous game, my machine can handle anything i throw at it

This game makes it look like its 10 years old

bigrow 05-29-2012 01:51 PM

Ok thanks petie, i'll save my money for now then :)

Oh, and i meant 1.34

mrfancyp 05-29-2012 04:27 PM

SSDs are great, but the 1.34 host has some weird delays, so you don't notice the faster loading times. Still one of the best investments you can make in my opinon due to the short boot times, program loading times and the noise reduction.

clone9cz 06-18-2012 07:40 PM

I wil be satisfied when the SD wil be reduced by loading time since 1.34, it's terrible.

Vampress 06-19-2012 06:28 AM

not much stuff actually can use an SSD to run stuff faster...

working on a large database on SSD u will see BIG speed improvements over HDD's

most stuff just loads in quicker...AND most programs since computers have ALOT of memory now just preload most stuff in already so your not doing little fetches constantly from your SSD/HDD like you might have done 25 years ago when you were playing on a 8 bit computer with 64K of ram and constantly trying to not use up the memory.

indo420 06-20-2012 02:04 PM

setting your default allocation unit size to 10,000k instead of the standard 4196K that i'm guessing you did when you first formatted your hard drive will decrease loading times tremendously, even on conventional HDD's.

torquil 06-22-2012 01:48 PM

SSD's made a big difference for me on startup loading; Everything else goes down to your RAM size/speed from the looks of it.

I feel plenty spoilt now with dual intel 520's in raid.

I actually wish the game would generally use more RAM, so I could see further; 16GB (mostly unused) really is too much for this game.

indo420 06-22-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by torquil (Post 6114556)
SSD's made a big difference for me on startup loading; Everything else goes down to your RAM size/speed from the looks of it.

I feel plenty spoilt now with dual intel 520's in raid.

I actually wish the game would generally use more RAM, so I could see further; 16GB (mostly unused) really is too much for this game.

maximum allocation size is 2048MB for the engine.

Just like the recognition of a single core, there is nothing that can be done about this with out totally abandoning the engine.

Vampress 06-22-2012 07:44 PM

its because the game uses primative 32 bit 20th century computer technology...

everyone else in the 21st century has long since moved on and uses 64 bit computer code which allow for the FULL use of system memory with modern 64 bit OS's

really 32 bit stuff is fit to stuff in the trash at this point in time...but companies still refuse to move into the 20th century because they are afraid they might 'lose' a few dumpster diving customers that can't find 2 pennies under the sofa cushion to upgrade to 21st century standards.

its also the reason why direct X 9.0 is still coming out on new games(diablo III, etc)...instead of the much better direct X 11. Companies just can't bear to lose even 1 customer that is still running 20th century hardware

torquil 06-23-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indo420 (Post 6114817)
maximum allocation size is 2048MB for the engine.

Just like the recognition of a single core, there is nothing that can be done about this with out totally abandoning the engine.

I doubt it really, because 2048 is not an engine limitation, its a windows object size limitation.

You cant make an object bigger then 2GB in windows, and that actually carries over to 64bit as well (Using .Net as an example, I think its a native limitation as well).

The engine, or so you say is made up of data structures, graphical subroutines, user input interfaces and customized simulations, with 3rd party systems intergrated.

If they so chose to; they could adapt their data structures to account for multiple 2GB objects and unless it was really badly designed, I doubt it would be much of a problem.

CRS should push the limits of modern computers! If someone has 2GB Ram, make it so they can play; but if I have 32GB: Make it so the game really makes something out of it! WOOT!

(Tired of seeing the edge of loaded tiles at the end of the max view distance in my airplane :_( )

indo420 06-23-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by torquil (Post 6115524)
I doubt it really, because 2048 is not an engine limitation, its a windows object size limitation.

You cant make an object bigger then 2GB in windows, and that actually carries over to 64bit as well (Using .Net as an example, I think its a native limitation as well).

The engine, or so you say is made up of data structures, graphical subroutines, user input interfaces and customized simulations, with 3rd party systems intergrated.

If they so chose to; they could adapt their data structures to account for multiple 2GB objects and unless it was really badly designed, I doubt it would be much of a problem.

CRS should push the limits of modern computers! If someone has 2GB Ram, make it so they can play; but if I have 32GB: Make it so the game really makes something out of it! WOOT!

(Tired of seeing the edge of loaded tiles at the end of the max view distance in my airplane :_( )

I can tell you right now I've seen my 3DS maya consume over 6GB of system memory while compiling a level

torquil 06-23-2012 05:21 PM

Indeed; and that proves its possible to use smart programming to use more then 2GB :_)